Owensboro Grain Company started in 1906 when the founder, Henry E. O’Bryan toured the country on bicycle, purchasing corn for local distilleries. He began shipping corn on wooden barges, developing the company as a small grain merchant.
O’Bryan’s son, William, recognizing early on that soybeans would play a significant role in the economy, directed the company into soybean processing in the latter part of the 1940’s. During the third generation of family ownership, the company doubled its soybean processing capacity, began processing lecithin and began producing refined oils for human consumption.
The fourth generation of the O’Bryan family opened a biodiesel production facility, which has added 45MM gallons of fuel per year to the nation’s energy supply. Now in its fifth generation of ownership, Owensboro Grain Company continues to demonstrate the same entrepreneurial spirit as the founder Henry E. O’Bryan did in 1906.